[aklug] Re: LinkedIn cold hits in Alaska

From: Farrin Reid <blakmatrix@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 03 2013 - 11:21:40 AKDT

LinkedIn is the most powerful tool recruiters and headhunters use--until
they get a hold of that NSA database ;)

I reserve my facebook mostly for friends and sometimes acquaintances I've
met at least a handful of times and are on good terms with. With LinkedIn I
try to only add people I've met with or spoke with because thats basically
what everyone else seems to do if not add everyone they can find... who
knows I might have accidentally added some of he folks that normally
respond on this list when I did a e-mail import (depends if you got auto
added to my google contact list).

btw I'm not a recruiter, just a dude in Seattle that got laid off from a
startup in april still looking for a dev job and got that info from
recruiters themselves... LinkedIn isn't gonna do much about it because
recruiters end up paying linked in for the premium accounts. There is also
a general shift in the tech industry where cold calling is becoming the
norm, I had a recruiter advise me just yesterday at a meetup "the most
successful people getting jobs are those calling the CTOs(startups) or some
one that should be manager or above for the position--I don't know if she
was just a social butterfly blowing smoke out her ass but i've basically
heard simial things from other people... I just have too many reservations
to cold call folks, I'm not a "fake it til you make it" guy...

Farrin