[aklug] Re: PC = Point and Click

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri May 10 2013 - 14:07:30 AKDT

* Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org> [130510 13:54]:
> One does not use terms like "pointy clicky" in a Linux users group
> forum without anticipating hate mail, in fact you would be remiss
> in your duties as a Linux user if you failed to do so, that being
> said with the current rash of WP site hijacking occurring its
> probably not a bad thing to point out that if you rely on default
> settings in applications for security you're gonna have a bad
> time. As with anything in the IT industry there are few things
> that adequately substitute for research and a healthy dose of
> "hacker phobia"
  When I posed the following question :

  "How can I create a user login page that is not called 'user'"
  to the drupal mailing list, I received replies that can be
  paraphrased as "why would you want to?"

  fortunately in drupal there is a module for that (renaming admin
  login page).

  I installed both of those sites with access logging initially at
  the highest level and with email alerts for such.

  There is constant probing of my sites, as with others.

  And of course sysadmins monitoring system logs can see all kinds
  of amazing attempts.

  On the dedicated servers that we work on, the majority of
  attempted intrusions appear to be coming from Israel and China.
  Why Israel? Dunno.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com