[aklug] Re: PC = Point and Click

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@happypenguincomputers.com>
Date: Fri May 10 2013 - 11:13:37 AKDT

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:52:59AM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
> I'm going to turn the following into blog, methinks. If I do, I will
> remove any and all personal names. Something for all to chew on and
> remember: You read it here first.
> ###################################################################
>
> Recently I contributed to the thread opened by Bruce Hill with
> subject line "web design help" with some comments regarding the use
> of CMS (content management systems). I listed some issues pro and
> con regarding the usage of CMS.
>
> I received the following from Jim McDonald OTL :
> """
> Learning curve? I had a wordpress website up and running with no
> experience in less than two hours … there isn't really a learning
> curve. it's all pointy clicky.
> """
>
> I would urge Bruce to look closely at Word Press, because that is
> what Jim was using. I note that wordpress can be installed pretty
> much instantaneously from cpanel with the domain hoster that I use.
> To be clear, the sites that I have hosted on this shared domain
> hoster were built using drupal. (I primarily work on dedicated
> servers with python frameworks). It might be that wordpress would be
> an easy option for Bruce. __But__ read on:
>
> I mean no personal aspersion to Jim when I use his comment above as
> a talking point and a subject. Furthermore, I hope that he would not
> be offended if I say that I believe that his words are illustrative
> of something that I have found ominous for some time now.
>
> I live in Palmer (Alaska) and we have seen two cases in which
> websites were hacked in manners that got a lot of public attention.
> According to our Parish priest, the Anchorage Archdiocese website
> was at one time hacked so that it looked like a Baptist website. Not
> a tragedy, really - one could even say that it was an ecumenical
> activity. :)
>
> Less funny and not much later, the Palmer Chamber of Commerce (PCOC)
> was hacked within hours of going live. Talk about a real business
> starter: the hack got written up on the local paper. The developer,
> in the first breath "took full responsibility" and in the second
> breath blamed Joomla (the CMS that they used). The second breath
> pretty much cancelled the first IMHO.
>
> If Bruce were to build a website to introduce a business that he was
> restarting after a long hiatus and he wanted to appeal to the
> parents of budding gymnasts __and__ if that site were hacked to make
> it look like pornography, Bruce's business would be in great
> jeopardy. In fact, that could be the death knell of his business.
>
> Most certainly, if Bruce were not versed with the security vector of
> dynamic websites, two hours would not be to much time for a learning
> curve to address such vectors.
>
> ***
> The possibility exists of a cyber intrusion attacking SCADA devices
> through controller PCs and costing far more in both blood and
> [...]

My needs are simple, but not desperate. There is nothing point-and-click that
we have used, nor probably will use in the future.

The whole fascination with flash and java in websites just increases the
attack vector, and frankly, for a little presence on the world wide web that
we want, HTML5 and CSS written in ViM will be enough.

I'm grateful for the replies from this list.

Bruce

--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \