[aklug] Re: MongoDB Roundup (Wed 7pm Anchorage)

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 08:25:02 AKDT

A little follow up from last nights discourse on MongoDB

Article about atomic operations published by Software Developers Journal
(Poland)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CTSka9dlZLi8JYu3IY8-iuKpddLwQe9FI55JwJQUjO4/pub

A presentations on MongoDB done by IIT

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ipef-xtv2Hbr-OXJOkvruyYPupgHUwGhRlShbOOvb_M/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOZQda8F0pA

Big.. Fat.. Happy.. Data..

    http://whardier.github.io/Big-Fat-Happy-Data/

And some information about transactions in MongoDB:

    http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/tutorial/perform-two-phase-commits/

As far as financial transactions are concerned.. I've also seen approaches
where documents are modified then moved in to place as part of a
transaction chain using a serialized number (date, ordering information,
etc..) and then aggregated later on. This seems to be a very universal
approach rather than simply getting around transaction related problems in
MongoDB.

We had 6 people show up and I'm very happy with how things went. I am of
course excited about this system and it's forced me to evaluate planning
solutions that I'd typically not consider.. including simply using
filesystems as databases as long as you know how to get at information.
 There had been some initial research on my part into working on a very
simple document storage service based around the NoSQL mentality. I can't
help but feel as though even digging into that research has helped fill in
a lot of gaps about how databases, indexes, and efficient storage works.

- Shane