[aklug] Puppy Linux static IP setup ease

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Sat May 04 2013 - 10:15:23 AKDT

Good morning,
I found another feature with this little scrapper that honestly is making
it more attractive as a main os. Setup a static IP. Why?

I was setting up some Epson M188 receipt printers for some POS stations. I
needed to reset them to the default 192.168.192.168 to start out as the
previous tech was poor at documentation and my IP telepathy is even poorer.

I then would set the windows laptop to static IP of 192.168.192.167. Same
subnet at least. Open up Explorer and enter 192.168.192.168 and voile'! The
onboard dialog for setup would open up as a webpage and I would reconfigure
for the local subnet (watch out for duplicate IPs and DOCUMENT) close it
and plug it into the switch.

I did the exact same procedure with precise puppy as the network manager
for puppy is way more user friendly than Network Manager. And I used
SeaMonkey instead of Explorer. Easy peasy!

Pinging the device with the urxvt terminal makes me think of my old
Commodore 128 for some reason..

Not bashing Network Manager - just not familiar enough with it to switch
between dhcp and static efficiently.

Grr