[aklug] Re: web design help

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu May 02 2013 - 13:51:35 AKDT

* Bruce Hill <bruce@happypenguincomputers.com> [130502 12:04]:
> My very small knowlege of HTML using ViM has not produced anything glamorous,
> but it's not caused any bleeding eyes, either.
>
> We (re)opened a school of gymnastics we'd sold in 1998 before we moved to
> China. Now we need to put up some web pages, and I'd like something that I
> could edit occasionally locally. We saw one site that we like:
>
> http://www.gymuniversity.com/
>
> Is there someone to save the html/css/whatever from that site, then edit it
> from there? Or is that not proper? Just need some place from which to start,
> and that layout suits us fine.
  I found only one dead link in that page : /includes/accordian.js -
  and it may not be used, just sort of a sponge left in the patient.

  All/most of the other files should be available for you to copy
  and download. The jquery files are available without change to the
  public as far as I know and it looks like /css/smoothDivScroll.css
  is also.

  If I were going to use that page as a template, I would just copy
  everything to my workstation, create the website locally and when
  ready to deploy, just FTP the files to the server of your choice.

  If you don't have a server to deploy from and need to find a
  hoster, I use hostmonster for some of my stuff and _highly_
  recommend them although I can registers some reservations if
  asked.

  There are frameworks and CMS (content management systems) and CMFs
  (Content Management Frameworks) and BS (and we know what that
  stands for) and PHD (Piled Hip Deep) and I have used both CMS,
  frameworks, mine and others.

  However, although others may try to convince you otherwise, vim
  may work just find for you.

  MTCW

--
Tim