[aklug] Re: really tiny text editor with emulation

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Apr 17 2013 - 18:39:53 AKDT

On 04/17/2013 10:17 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Christopher Howard wrote:
>

> :-) I use it almost exclusively. Vim, in particular, makes a great IDE.
> Very extendable.
>

> What's the phrase? "Emacs is a great OS, but lacks a good editor..."
> Ah, I
> feel better. ;-)
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

I've heard the quote before, "Emacs is a great OS, but lacks a good
editor..." That's c--p. Emacs is a great OS AND a great editor!

I can fly editing circles around everyone I know who uses Vim. Can do
stuff in seconds with macros, shortcuts, and functions that takes them
two or three minutes of laborious typing. And if I forget how to do
anything, I'm usually only takes me about 30 seconds to find out how to
do it via the built in reference manual. And I like the fact that I can
customize just about any behavior through the customize variable interface.

On the OS side... Emacs is pretty cool. I pretty much live in it now.
who needs terminals and file navigators when you have shell shortcuts,
eshell, dired, tramp, buffers, windows, and frames? I can do git vcs
within emacs, and Haskell mode in Emacs is beautiful, especially with
Haskell unicode symbol replacement, plus compiler and interpreter load
shortcuts, and TAGS support.

I used to knock Emacs for using Lisp for extensibility. Now that I'm a
functional programmer, I have precisely the opposite opinion. I still
have quite a ways to go yet to finish the Emacs Lisp tutorial (C-h r u m
Elisp) but it has been fun so far.

Anyway, if somebody who is reading this is still trying to pick an
editor, just open Emacs up sometime, type C-h r, and read through the
manual to see all the cool stuff you can do with it.

--
frigidcode.com