[aklug] Re: Node Alchemy

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2013 - 15:49:29 AKST

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Everett Haimes wrote:

> When I started the rewrite of the server portion of the project it was somewhere in the ~2.3 version of rails back in 2009. I checked my git repo and I started version controlling on October 14, 2010 at Rails version 3.0.1 after an extensive (and slightly daunting) conversion.
>
> Since the upgrade to 3.0 I haven't hit any major migration issues and things have been extremely stable. I've been able to continually update the rails version without issue and am now running 3.2.11. I've been extremely happy with it and development has been very smooth. Right now I'd recommend Rails to anyone interesting in designing a webapp with complex object-relational models.
>
> I'm currently investigating the upgrade path to Rails 4.0 but will not upgrade until they have a few patch level releases out.
>
> As for versioning, with RVM and Bundler, dependencies are extremely easy to deal with and in a few specific cases, I've had to lock a version down on a gem here and there. An example is the latest JQuery update. Some of my Javascript is not compatible with the latest version so I've locked the version of the jquery-rails gem until I'm able to make it compatible again.

Hadn't even heard of RVM, thanks for the tip. So, basically, your app
doesn't rely on system packages, it's completely self contained. Probably
the only way to deal with those issues.

I guess I've been spoiled by Perl/CPAN for the most part. Forwards
compatibility is rarely an issue.

So, back to your software: sounds like you're targeting either compute
farms and/or cloud computing? There's got to be more than a few on this
list that would have some interest in that.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die