[aklug] Re: Windows 8 + ubuntu

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 13 2013 - 18:30:21 AKST

Coming in on this a little late, but one of the Fedora developers has put
out a bootloader for UEFI for people to use w/ other distros. Haven't tried
it myself, but...

http://www.muktware.com/4909/fedora-developer-releases-secure-boot-bootloader-linux-distributions#.UPN68nBGJ5Q

Jim G

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:

> * Jiin Jade <jiin@vitalsols.com> [121228 17:23]:
> > I just accidentally bought an HP 2000 Notebook with Windows 8. I spent
> over
> > 20 hours trying to get Ubuntu 11.10 to boot and finally gave up. This
> > included disabling "Secure boot" and UEFI. Reverting to "Legacy mode",
> etc.
> > Lets just say if OEM HP is going to screw me on the end user side I will
> > never buy their servers on the enterprise side! Feel free to give them
> an
> > earful, and post in as many forums as you care too.
> >
> > Anyhow, the most recent version of Ubuntu(12.10) was able to install and
> > boot. I understand Ubuntu and Fedora bought keys from micro$oft so they
> > could boot their distro. Microsoft has become the "UEFI Certificate
> > Authority" so to speak for all UEFI/Windows 8 machines. I really think M$
> > totally screwed themselves on this one. I will NEVER buy any M$ installed
> > system every again. It just drives my money directly to OEM's supporting
> > Linux and away from the HP's of the world who are willing compromise end
> > user freedom.
> >
> > echo EOF > /rant
>
> I've pretty much talked my wife into using the 4-year old HP
> netbook here with xubuntu 12.04 on it and 2 GB of RAM. It will
> work fine for her. In the meantime, I expect linux will overcome
> the UEFI issue eventually.
>
> As for lappies with linux:
>
> <sniff>Everything I have come across is overpriced IMHO. </sniff>
> **** 'em. Those vendors are as bad as micro$ucks$
>
> Thanks for the replies.
> --
> Tim
> tim at tee jay forty nine dot com or akwebsoft dot com
> http://www.akwebsoft.com

Jim Gribbin
Prudential Jack White/Vista RE
3801 Centerpoint Dr, #200
Anchorage, AK 99503
phone (907) 273-7348 fax (907) 562-5485
website JimGribbin.com
The information contained in this e-mail is CONFIDENTIAL and/or PRIVILEGED.
This e-mail is intended to be reviewed by the individual named above. If
the reader of this electronic transmittal is not the intended recipient or
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
review, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the information
contained herein, is prohibited. Thank you.