[aklug] Re: e-mail scripting

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Wed Jan 02 2013 - 17:10:14 AKST

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [2012-12-31 21:08 -0500]:
> Lately I've been in an "automate or die" mood and I've been trying to
> apply that mentality to my incoming e-mail. For example, every week I
> usually get church bulletin documents e-mail to me, so I manually
> convert them to PDF, and upload them to the church Web site. But now
> I'm trying to automate that.

Personally, I use getmail [1] (to get my mail from the server), maildrop
[2] (to filter my mail to mailboxes), and mutt. My server side is
dovecot with the sieve extensions, but I've not had time enough to
convert my maildrop filters to SIEVE, so they are unused.

[1]: http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/
[2]: http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/

If you're looking to convert the contents of the inbound email to PDF,
and you already have a script which does that, the maildrop xfilter [3]
command may be what you want: it feeds the current message to a program
on stdin, then uses the output of the program to replace the message for
any future filtering actions (filtering actions below the xfilter
command in the mailfilter file). One warning (from someone who has been
bitten by this): make darn sure you are specific enough not to get other
emails when choosing the conditions under which the xfilter command will
be run. ;)

[3]: http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/maildropfilter.html#xfilter

Anyway, I've found maildrop to be a bit more straightforward than
procmail, and easier to debug.

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]