[aklug] Re: e-mail scripting

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Dec 31 2012 - 17:10:52 AKST

Piped aliases work great with postfix and sendmail. Been using them for years.

It simply delivers the entire message to the script on stdin, so you can do all your processing in whatever language you like.

--
Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:
Is there anyone else on the list who plays around with scripted
management / filtering / manipulation of incoming e-mail (i.e., as a
client, not server-side stuff)? If so what tools do you use? (E.g., what
e-mail client do you use? How do you pass e-mails to your scripts? What
languages / utilities do you use?)
Lately I've been in an "automate or die" mood and I've been trying to
apply that mentality to my incoming e-mail. For example, every week I
usually get church bulletin documents e-mail to me, so I manually
convert them to PDF, and upload them to the church Web site. But now I'm
trying to automate that.
I've been trying to bend Thunderbird to the task, but it isn't really
designed for automation and scripting. With filters and a few add-ons
(like AutoExtract) I have been able to make some progress, but it is
rather clumsy work.
--
frigidcode.com