[aklug] Privacy Respecting Search Engines

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 18:03:58 AKST

On 12/11/2012 05:13 PM, Jiin Jade wrote:
> Sure, I looked up the owner of the domain: Alan Nove consulted the all
> seeing eye Google(By the way use http://startpage.com for a non spying
> search engine):

Since somebody else mentioned "non spying search engines": Better than
Startpage is DuckDuckGo (DDG):

https://duckduckgo.com/

The reason it is better (in the privacy department) is because DDG is
totally Tor friendly. Startpage frequently confuses Tor servers for
scrapers, but DDG never blocks them. DDG even runs its own Tor exit
enclave, to improve performance for Tor users!

There are a number of other cool reasons to use DDG -- check out their
(HTML5!) video:

https://duckduckgo.com/about.html

(For images, I use picsearch.com, if anyone is wondering.)

--
frigidcode.com