[aklug] Upgrading Ubuntu server

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2012 - 18:56:51 AKST

Hey guys, for quite a while now I've been running my postfix / courier
e-mail server on one of those cheap openvz vms from alienlayer. For the
first time, it occurred to me to check what release they installed, and
it turns out they were /not/ using an LTS release. Evidently Natty is
expired, which would explain why there hasn't been any new security
updates for the last two months. :)

So now I want to upgrade to 12.04 LTS, purely for the sake of getting
the security updates back, and getting landed on an LTS version. I've
never done a dist-upgrade before on an Ubuntu box, so I was wondering if
the Ubuntu vets had any last minute tips / words of warnings for me
before I took the plunge. (Aside from the customary "back up your
data".) The Ubuntu site simply says to use the "do-release-upgrade"
command and follow instructions, but doesn't give any info about what
that process will be like, or if I'll get to pick the specific version I
want to upgrade to.

--
frigidcode.com