[aklug] Re: Wife's hard drive is failing

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Sun Nov 18 2012 - 18:44:54 AKST

Use dd to grab the first meg or so of the drive, and put the resulting file on a usb key or different drive, so your not exercising the failed drive during the next process.

Use dd on the extracted file to search for a partition table, using seek to skip ahead in the file 1 byte at a time until you find the correct offset.

Then you can dd the failing drive into a new drive, skipping ahead that offset, so that the partition table is written correctly on the new drive.

I've done this with a couple of failed raid'd drives, and it has worked for me.

---
David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com> wrote:
Trinity Rescue Kit doesn't help. Yet.
It identifies the Seagate as sda but won't mount it. Says it is part of a softraid. So now I'm studying dmraid to figure out how to mount the ntfs partition to recover the data.