[aklug] Re: free news group access?

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Nov 08 2012 - 11:18:59 AKST

On 11/08/2012 06:05 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Kevin Miller<atftb2@alaska.net> wrote:
>> They used to contract with one of the big name news servers, and just alias
>> it in DNS. Now it appears to be w/in their own IP range. But then again
>> most of the Akamai servers I hit are w/in that range too so it may just be a
>> partnering arrangement...
>
> As far as I'm aware, from ~2000 to October 2012, there's been no third
> party running ACS caching servers. What Tom described is exactly how
> it's been working.

Could be. I just remember a long time ago doing a reverse nslookup on
the address and it resolved elsewhere than alaska.net/acsalaska.net. I
wouldn't have thought it was 12 years ago but time flies. I do remember
the annoyance when they changed of my feed being way out of sync on all
the news groups I followed since all the reference indexes were different.

FWIW, I mentioned yesterday that I'd posted to
alt.binaries.picures.woodworking a few days ago and it never showed up.
  It still hasn't. But last night I posted again. The photos are less
that 50 kb each. The original post had three photos attached. I made
two posts last night - the first had one photo and the 2nd had two
photos. Today, (on GCI's newsfeed) I see my 2nd post from last night
and some replies to it, but not the first post.

When my posts do turn up on ACS's news server it's usually hours after
the fact. I don't know why they don't appear immediately. Actually, I
think that's the same behavior on GCI as well.

Long story short, it may behoove the OP to pony up the nominal cost for
a supernews feed, depending on his ISP...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska