[aklug] Re: Drupal :: the real linux test

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 17:41:30 AKDT

* Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> [121012 12:09]:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Marc Grober wrote:
>
> >Tag! Your it, Arthur, lol.
>
> :-) Run. Fast.
>
> >I think you are confusing the wonderful features of unix utilities with
> >the likewise wonderful creations that can be concocted from same, and
>
> No, I'm not, actually. Let's just call drupal a meta-tool, then. Even as a
> meta-tool I expect exposed little knobs for me to attach arbitrary UNIX
> legos of my choice, written in the architecture of my choosing. Kind of
> like my e-mail client, alpine. I wouldn't like it if tried to incorporate
> every possible feature internally, and it doesn't. The editor, a separate
> utility, is easily replaced with vim. PGP-signing, etc., are all performed
> by separate utilities that I can redefine at will. That's good UNIX design.
  What I would *like* to see is a formalized way to incorporate
  script from any source. Sadly, I don't see it happening. One of
  the big bumpups for PHP is the default (in most servers) of
  mode_php, and the nonincorporations of mod_perl, mod_python etc.
  PHP had become ubiquitous in web presence, and combined with
  security openings it could turn out to be a "Cyber Pearl Harbor".
  My wife is glaring at me and pointing at the dinner tables, so
  gotta go - but let me leave you with one word - and I'll explain
  it tomorrow if folks don't get it.

  skada

--
Tim