[aklug] Re: Linux/Drupal/PHP/Latest LJ

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 22:52:06 AKDT

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Tim Johnson wrote:

> I'll be darned: Do a search on "Just write C!" and you will see a
> link to boutell.com - I used his libraries 16 or 17 years ago as a
> takeoff reference for my own. So he is still around and as crabby
> as ever.
>
> "veekun" makes it sound like PHP is to programming languages what
> windoze is to OS's. Talk about crabby. Sheesh!

:-) Indeed. Another blog post has him saying this:

       "here;s to the PHP Misfits. The pragmatic ones who would pick up
       anything -- even double-clawed hammers -- to build their own future.
       Often ridiculed and belittled by the hip guys in class who write
       cool code in Ruby or Python, but always the ones who just get shit
       done."

   Yeah, well, fuck you. I dont write Python because it's cool, and I'm
   rapidly tiring of having invented motivations used as a reason to
   disregard what I say. I use Python because it balances getting stuff
   done with having that stuff not fall over as soon as I turn my back.
   Programming is a world of tradeoffs; most of PHP's trade immediacy for
   the slightest hint of reliability. Those geeks writing sites in
   Haskell aren't always just doing it because it meets some academic
   (when did learning become bad?) standard of purity; very powerful
   typing often solves very real problems in software engineering. The
   tradeoff there is that very powerful typing also makes some common
   tasks particularly difficult to implement. Some people find this
   tradeoff acceptable; many do not.

:-) Brutally honest, and I can respect that.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die