[aklug] Re: PowerShell

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 15:34:44 AKDT

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Tim Johnson wrote:

> When I was still working in C and went from NT (3.51?) to linux
> (RH 6 or so), I deliberately tried to crash linux by doing
> all the things that so reliably crashed NT. Writing to protected
> registers was my favorite. Couldn't do it. Could even crash a bash
> session terminal ...

Heh. I remember being extremely perplexed after all the issues on 3.51 just
to hear that 4.0 was going to move display drivers into ring zero. As
crappy and inconsistent as display driver support was at the time, there was
*no* way that could go badly... until it did. Just picking your video card
with NT was like playing russian roulette.

That worked so well <G> that MS couldn't wait to do the same thing with the
sound drivers in W2k. Freaking brilliant.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die