[aklug] Re: free software compatible hardware

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2012 - 15:27:27 AKDT

On 09/28/2012 02:31 PM, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Friday 28 September 2012 12:49:38 pm Christopher Howard wrote:
>

> I use NVidia'a driver, not FOSS, there is not a FOSS solution for my card and
> mult-monitor setup. Workstation stuff. I am fine with that. This is hardware 3D.
>
> There are ,at least, a couple of ways to get 3D, software via the mesa stuff, and
> the 'binary blobs' for hardware acceleration. More chipsets might work in in
> software, for FOSS, than hardware.
>
> Intel chipsets seem to work with mesa, not sure about hardware acceleration.
>
> I think there are a number of laptops available that work reliably with Linux, the
> trick is to get one without Windows on it. Some of the Liunx laptop vendors are
> using Thinkpads and Dells.. I am happy with my Thinkpad, but I have to run
> software provided by my clients...all Windows :-(

My goal is to somehow get decent 3d graphics acceleration without
compromising my FOSS ideals - that means not using downloaded binary
drivers from Nvidia, or closed-source firmware blobs from AMD.

For a while I thought this was impossible, but I've heard some rumors
that nouveau / Gallium3D can provide 3d acceleration with a few NVIDIA
cards. (I haven't yet had time to research into this.) I've also heard
about Intel GPUs that run on FOSS, but I haven't been able to find a
"Intel graphics card" anywhere that I can plug in (i.e., without
replacing my motherboard).

--
frigidcode.com
indicium.us