[aklug] Re: Lisping

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Mon Aug 27 2012 - 11:00:28 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [120827 07:10]:

> You'll have to forgive my overflowing enthusiasm, but lately I've been
> reading the introductory manual for Emacs Lisp, and wondering why I
> didn't get into this sooner. Emacs really is a great operating system!
> :D Expect the list to be occasionally polluted with Lots of Silly
> Parentheses as I play around with this stuff.
  I used emacs extensively for many years and wrote a lot of
  libraries using elisp. I also did some work - utilities only that
  employed newlisp (www.newlisp.org) What I like most about it was
  the asynchronous mode with which you can run interpreters and
  shells. You can test code from within a script file in a buffer
  with the particular scripting language's interpreter running
  (asynchronously) in another buffer window.

  My first scripting language (after decades of compiled languages)
  was rebol (www.rebol.com) - developed by Carl Sassenrath, the lead
  programmer on the Amiga OS project - it is very, very lisplike
  (without the emphasis on parens) in that data and code is
  interchangeable (as in lisp) and that variable names take the form
  of 'symbols' (as in lisp). I built a lot of websites with it at
  one time, but have phased out of it for the most part. See
  www.rebol.com. The interchangeability of data and code as well as
  the symbolic approach offers new insites to the more well-know
  languages that do not have these features.

  I use the term lisp generically as there is common lisp, emacs
  lisp (elisp), autolisp, many versions of scheme, and clojure - to
  name a few. Parens make life easier for the language parser.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com