[aklug] Fridayt Night Linux

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2012 - 16:34:31 AKDT

A year or so back, someone suggested using some sort of video conferencing
so that people who could not attend physically could attend virtually.
At the time, I could not figure out a way to do it, largly due to bandwidth
constraints. The other being a reasonable system for doing it. All we had
to use at the time was a Clearwire connection and that, because of the
location, could be iffy.

Times have changed and we seem to have consistent access to a couple of
megabits of bandwith and Google has this "Hangouts" thing. I'm thinking
that between them it might be prectical to set up now.

The only drawbacks I can think of is:

  1) You need a gmail account to access this. Not everyone has, or wants to
use gmail. You only need to use gmail to access the system. Noone says you
have to use it as your maill service.

  2) Only 9, as far as I know, can access a particular hangaout at one
time. I don't know that this would be popular enough to be a drawback. I
suspect that while the bandwith is fairly good, I don't know that we'd have
enough bandwith to make 9 people anyway.

If anyone is interested, I expect to be attempting to set something up
about 7ish.

One last think. We have a guy that has been comming occasionally on Fridays
that is into this Makerbot stuff. He has a 3D printer that he is planning
on bringing tonight that he claims is now working. He brought it a couple
of weeks ago and it had "issues".

Jim G