[aklug] Re: Creepy fast backups using block level snapshots.. a bit like CDP but slower and cheaper.

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2012 - 22:48:18 AKDT

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> wrote:
>> So here's my quicky log of commands that I'm running right now in
>> order to do the following:
>>
>> make a sparse file on a dedicated "snapshot" disk for consistently
>> running snapshots.
>> make a loopback out of the file
>> add the loopbacked file as an LVM PV
>> extend my main VG
>> make a snapshot using the entire size of the loopback file as the
>> COW backing device
>> back up the original block device (costly.. left out for testing reasons)
>> back up the current COW layer (fast!)
>
> How does performance compare to ZFS snapshots and send/receive?

ZFS send/receive is an incredibly efficient and completely different
beast! :) I appreciate it's awesomeness but can't really use it in my
environment yet. I personally can't wait for BTRFS send/receive
because I get some handy dandy stuffs that I'm looking for from an
archive solution including compression.. and on top of that..
Linuxishnesh.

As I see it, shipping the COW or even using my own block layer and
maintaining a remote COW (this must be amusing to some folks out
there) requires you to have a useful archiving solution set aside..
hopefully with dedupe and compression as well as point in time virtual
block device access for restorations.

Anyways. I'll probably be using BTRFS as soon as Linux 3.6 is out for
both some file storage as well as my laptop.. I'll be sending
snapshots from my laptop over SSH back to my HQ...

BBFN!

- Shane