[aklug] Re: Legal protection from drone surveillance

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2012 - 19:16:56 AKDT

http://gcn.com/articles/2012/06/14/congress-rand-paul-warrants-for-domestic-drone-surveillance.aspx
>)
> >

> What most people forget when this topic comes up is that airborne drones
> are really only effective when the surveillance target is out in the open.
> Believe it or not, when you're out in the open you have no expectation of
> privacy, and the police need no warrant to photograph you or record your
> conversations. Police routinely plant cameras/microphones in open areas
> to gather evidence during an investigation, so I'm not sure why mounting
> them on a small airborne platform changes anything.
>
> Violation of your privacy can only occur when you're in a place where you
> have a reasonable expectation of privacy--in your home for instance. An
> airborne drone isn't going to make it easier for police to watch you or
> monitor your conversations when you're inside your house. Technology for
> surveilling a target inside a structure from the outside has existed for
> many years now. That kind of technology should be of far more concern then
> the simple mounting of a camera on a little RC helicopter, and I'm not
> sure why it isn't.
>
> Don't get me wrong--I think most tools used by government agencies that
> have the potential for abuse are virtually guaranteed to be abused by
> them, given the opportunity. I'm just having trouble seeing the basis for
> the outrage on this one.
>
> Mike

On top of which, it seems lots of people are building them now. How are
going to control who's taking pictures of what & why?
"Honest Judge, We were just trying to get a handle on the traffic situation
in the area when out of nowhere, Mr Howard..." ;)

www,diydrones.com

Jim G