[aklug] CISPA: Murkowski's response

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Jun 13 2012 - 12:29:02 AKDT

Hey guys, I finally heard back from Senator Murkowski regarding my
objections to the CISPA bill. This is the response, verbatim:

quote:
- --------
Dear Christopher:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3523, the Cyber
Intelligence Sharing and Protection (CISPA) Act. I appreciate hearing
from you and having the opportunity to respond.

H.R. 3523 was introduced by Representative Michael Rogers on November
30, 2011. On April 26, 2012, it passed the House by a 248 ? 168 vote,
and has now been referred to the Senate Intelligence Committee for
further consideration. Among other things, the bill is intended to
improve cybersecurity by facilitating the sharing of cyber threat
intelligence information between the intelligence community and the
private sector.

I understand and have many of the same concerns as many of my
constituents about privacy issues that may arise from allowing access
to all information related to a potential cyber threat without regard
to laws that have been put into place. I do, however, recognize that
our nation may be vulnerable to cyber attacks that could have severe
economic and security ramifications. I believe that members of
Congress must work together to pass clear, effective legislation that
will improve our cybersecurity and protect against this emerging threat.

I joined with a number of my colleagues to introduce S. 2151, the
Strengthening and Enhancing Cybersecurity by Using Research,
Education, Information, and Technology Act of 2012 (SECURE IT). The
SECURE IT legislation provides real solutions without expanding
government, adding burdensome regulations to the private sector, or
adding to the federal deficit. It follows a commonsense approach to
address growing cyber threats by focusing on the following four areas:
(1) information sharing, (2) modernizing the way government manages
and mitigates its own cyber risks, (3) criminal penalties, and (4)
additional research.

I believe the SECURE IT bill presents the best path forward for
significant improvements to our nation's cybersecurity. I look
forward to working with my Senate colleagues to achieve a strong
bipartisan consensus on cybersecurity legislation in order to ensure
that our citizens, our companies, and our country are protected.

Should the full Senate consider cybersecurity legislation in the
future, I will keep your comments in mind. Again, thank you for
contacting me.
- --------

The bill she references, the SECURE IT act, was introduced by Senator
John McCain in March, and the text is available here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.2151:

I haven't had time yet to do a full analysis and comparison, but it
appears to have a similar goal as CISPA, though differing in the
details of how and when information can be shared. SECURE IT also
would codify some new "cyber" crimes, like "trafficking in passwords"
and "conspiracy and attempted computer fraud", along with making
penalties on existing crimes stiffer. (For example, up to 20 years
without probation for attempting to damage a "critical infrastructure"
computer.)

- --
frigidcode.com
indicium.us