[aklug] Re: More on tiff2pdf and other command line tools

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon May 21 2012 - 21:18:30 AKDT

I do like Gentoo, it has probably been my favorite distro. It was just to
time consuming at the time I was using it because I could not use Linux as
my daily driver. Trying to update Gentoo once a week with the slower
network access I had available at the time just took too long.
For checking to see if I have a particular package installed in Fedora, I
usually execute "rpm -qa | grep [package name]".

Without the grep part, rpm lists all packages in the install database.

"Yum info [package name]" will also give me the information, but this only
searches the exact package name unless the operator suspects there is a
variant of the name and thinks to add an asterix to the package name. Yum
has the added advantage in that it will tell if the requested package is
available in any of the repositories that are set up. Or the update, as the
case may be.

My difficulty is that I thought I had the needed package as I had forgotten
about libtiff-tools and was only checking for libtiff, so this didn't help
in this instance. I did use the tools.

Jim G