[aklug] CISPA: Begich's Response

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu May 10 2012 - 10:32:04 AKDT

Here is the response I received from Senator Begich about CISPA, for
anyone interested in his perspective:

quote:
- --------
Dear Mr. Howard:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3523, the Cyber
Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA).

As you know, CISPA would allow private companies and the federal
government to share information about cyber threats in order to
improve cybersecurity and protect networks against cyber attack.
Information may also be shared to investigate cyber crimes, protect
individuals from death or injury, protect minors from physical or
psychological harm, and for national security reasons. Private
companies would be exempt from civil and criminal liability related to
the disclosure of cyber threat information to the federal government.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has identified cyber threats as
one of the most serious economic and national security issues facing
our country, and we must address this issue soon. However, I agree
any legislation to improve our nation's cybersecurity must also
contain adequate protections for privacy and civil liberties.

CISPA was recently passed by the House, but the Senate has not yet
taken it up for consideration. President Obama has stated that he
would veto the bill in its current form. I will continue to carefully
monitor this legislation, and I will keep your comments in mind should
it come before the Senate for a vote.

Thank you again for contacting me about CISPA. Please do not hesitate
to contact me again about this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Mark Begich
U.S. Senator

It seems like the usual "I agree with the intent and aim of this bill,
but I am open-minded to modifying it to make it more palatable."

Thoughts? Comments?

- --
frigidcode.com
indicium.us