[aklug] Re: Very old laptops

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 11:08:15 AKDT

This fellow has done some amazing things with old machines - and his use of
terminal apps has been just outstanding. He has other posts regarding the
usefulness of old machines, but here's the one with the most ideas:
Things to do with an old
computer<http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/things-to-do-with-an-old-computer/>

Kmandla had another idea that can be added to this list that I liked: setup
a Tor relay <https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-relay.html.en>

I used his tips to keep my trusty IBM PIII running with Ubuntu 10.04
minimal (no x.) The learning curve was steep but fun. Besides screen, I
found his tip on converting a compact flash to a poor mans SSD (using a CF
card to IDE adaptor) very bombproof...

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Darren Coolidge <dcoolidge@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Luggers,
>
> I need ideas. The school I'm working for has 3 or 4 of old laptops
> (ancient actually). And I was wondering what I could do with them.
> Need ideas please ;)
>
> They are
> P III @ 600MHZ
> 128MB RAM
> CD and floppy drive
>
> Any ideas welcome. Including but not limited to paper weights, target
> practice...

ΨΦ! μ~πζ≈∞Ωא
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet."
African Proverb
"When in charge, ponder. When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate."
I make chaos