[aklug] Re: GCI static IP's

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 07:27:51 AKDT

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM, William Attwood <wattwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're really at their mercy when it comes to that. =A0An option of cours=
e is
> to use a different provider if another is available and cheaper.
> On Apr 8, 2012 10:40 PM, "Jim MacDonald" <jim@macdonald.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> For a number of reasons some of them personal, some professional, I find
>> myself desiring to have a static IP external IP address configured for m=
>> home network. I use GCI. I just checked and they charge 10$ a month for =
>> static IP. This seems pretty steep to me for what is essentially an IP
>> reservation setting in their DHCP server. I have considered using DDNS f=
or
>> some of what I want to do but I suspect that for other uses I will need =
an
>> actual static IP address. Does any have any suggestions on how to best g=
>> about this? =A0That doesn't involve paying a 10$ extortion fee every mon=
th?

>> Jim MacDonald
>> jim@macdonald.org

For like $14.00-$20.00 a month you can get a static IP on a cloud
server somewhere on the internet. One OpenVPN later and you have what
you want as well as a great opportunity to offload a lot of services.
Not sure why GCI would charge $10.00 when you can get reserved Linux
instances elsewhere for a bit more. They should drop their rates.

Alsooooooooooo.. pop on SIXXS and get a free IPv6 static IP from GCI
for FREEEEEEE! Very low latency since your provider is the IPv6
tunnel provider as well.

- Shane

- Shane