[aklug] Re: Debian and GTK-3

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Fri Mar 30 2012 - 21:51:16 AKDT

On Friday 30 March 2012 2:47:27 pm Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hey guys (or, more specifically, the Debian proficient ones) I don't
> use Debian personally any more, but I've got Debian squeeze running in
> an image through qemu-kvm, which I built with a net install iso. I'm
> using it learn how to make .deb packages and test them. However, for
> my first attempt I'm trying to create a .deb for software that needs
> gtk-3, but apparently all squeeze has is gtk-2. (I see libgtk2-dev
> using apt-cache, but no gtk3.)
>
> From some online research I see that Debian has a testing branch, an
> unstable branch, and a Wheezy target, as well as some kind of back
> ports system. But I'm not sure which is the most sensible path to take
> in my case. Any advice?

Squeeze = Stable is Gnome2/GTK2 as are the backports for Squeeze.

Wheezy = Testing and will be gnome3/gtk3

Sid = unstable This is where packages enter tthe Debian build system, then they
proceed to testing.

Testing eventually will be the next stable release.

Seems like lots of Debian users run testing to get newer versions of software, the
same for Sid. Depends on how comfortable you are with a changing target.

--
Peace,
Greg