[aklug] Re: first assembly program!

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Mar 01 2012 - 11:58:31 AKST

On Sun, February 26, 2012 3:59 pm, Christopher Howard wrote:
> <rant>Seems like one of the saddest
> things about the modern age is that we have computer technology more
> powerful and more advanced than anything even imagined throughout most
> of history, yet most people don't even care how any of it works, let
> alone understand it. Used to be that people (like Torvalds) wrote
> their own software in assembly just so they could send an e-mail. Now
> people don't even care what their operating system is doing, so long
> as it lets them log into WoW or check their Facebook page.</rant>

I think the main issue there is the vast expansion of the computer-
using population. Instead of computer use being restricted to
enthusiasts and big organizations that need to Get Stuff Done,
it's enjoyed by people who like computers for what they can do
(organize photos, exchange email, play games), not for what they
are (and what they can be made to do by someone in the know).

We enthusiasts are still here, we're simply a smaller portion of
the (now much larger) pie.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net