[aklug] Re: bash sucks

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sat Feb 04 2012 - 15:23:37 AKST

* Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> [120204 12:53]:

> :-) If Microsoft has taught us anything technical superiority != market
> superiority.

 I might venture to guess that if there were a biographer for PHP,
 that note would be made of how PHP managed to avoid using the
 shebang trick. This would have made it very easy for Windows
 programmers (most workstations ARE windoze) to upload php scripts
 to *nix webservers (most webservers are *nix) without changing the
 path to the script.

 So perhaps a default install of mod_php was probably the big lever
 that PHP could take advantage of. Thus, one issue of the CGI
 learning curve and overhead was eliminated.

 The most recent issue of Linux Journal (now all-digital) that
 features programming indicates that among linux users, python is
 the most preferred, with C/C++ a second. Perl and ruby are there
 too, PHP is barely mentioned. Just saying, but it looks like the
 PHP bias is on the windows side.

 If I were to do PHP programming, I would look for a validator that
 could scan code for potential exploits and other nastiness that the
 interpreter might ignore ...

> > Time for a Guinness. Oh, it's morning ...
>
> Or a Murphy's...
  Murphy's rocks.

--
Tim