[aklug] Re: Apache2 and Perl

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Dec 27 2011 - 10:02:17 AKST

* Damien Hull <dhull@section9.us> [111227 08:54]:
> Here's what I have...
> 1. Ubuntu 10.04
> 2. LAMP
> 3. New installation of Perl in /usr/local/
  /usr/local ? or usr/local/bin ?
> I have a web app that uses Perl.
  Is it 'traditional' CGI?
> I'm assuming Apache needs to use the
> same version of Perl. How do I get Apache to talk to this new install
> of Perl?
>
> I tried using the Ubuntu packages but they use the version of Perl
> that came with Ubuntu.
  FYI: I don't use perl, but I have been doing CGI since 1995.
  I'm not sure what you mean that 'apache needs to talk to perl'.

  Are you using mod perl?
  If so, I don't know much about that.
  If not :
    It is perl that need to be executed by apache, right?

    Then perl need to talk to the browser via stdout.
    So, just point your shebang (first line in the cgi script) to the
    perl of your choice.

    Other issues present themselves, however, if you are deploying to
    a remote server where the perl of your choice is not on the same
        path.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com