[aklug] Re: BSA: Turn in your buddies: Cash prize!

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2011 - 22:27:36 AKST

Somebody, I'm pretty sure the BSA, has been advirtising this for years.
Since about 2001 that I seem to be able to find quickly.
If it makes you feel better, you can do it through Facebook and Twitter now
too ;-)

That said, turning in criminals for cash rewards has been going on for a
long time.

I used to have a lot of issues with either people stealing products I spent
time and money developing or wanting me to help them steal the product of
others when I was in the jewelry industry. I had clients that would go buy
one of something they liked and thought they could make money with and want
me to help them copy it.

Their excuse was generally along the lines of "Well they charge too much
for it." or "They won't sell them to me at a wholsale rate unless I buy 12
gross and I can't afford that". Well, just because you don't have the
money, or don't want to spend the money does not give you the right to
steal my product. Nor do you have the right to set my prices and decide how
much money I should be allowed to make from my product. If you have issues
with any of these things, vote with your feet and shop elsewhere or come up
with your own. I did, and you probably were as well, when switching to
Linux.

One last thing. If you take mine, I have the right to go after you. Even
GPL preserves that right.

Jim G