[aklug] Re: SMTP: Why the middle-man?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Dec 05 2011 - 20:56:13 AKST

On 12/05/2011 07:39 PM, Shane Spencer wrote:
>> Penny for your thoughts. (Actually, I don't have a penny...)
>
> Get a job hippie. Also.. run a mail server that handles a few
> thousand emails a day at least and this will all sink in real fast.
Aren't they called Yippies now? Or did that movement die off as well? I
actually just found a penny, a dime, and one quarter.

I didn't want to draw attention to my own ignorance, but the truth is
after I sent out the first e-mail for this thread my opinions reversed
on this subject. In particular, it seems like it would put a pretty
heavy burden on clients if their machines had to keep track of
delivering the e-mail (repeat attempts, network down, etc.) Also, after
looking through my Postfix book again, I see that spam-fighting is a
more complicated matter than I thought: for example, there is not only
PBL lists, but also several other useful lists, like the spamhous XBL
that keeps track of IP addresses for PCs that have been hijacked and
turned zombie. Plus sender-address verification is pretty effective.
Most of those resources wouldn't be of much use if every PC in the world
was a mail relay.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us