[aklug] ACS currently dealing with IP issues

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Dec 01 2011 - 13:55:54 AKST

Not bagging, just informing.

At least throughout the Anchorage area.. several network segments dealing with DSL and BXB
customers will show a bit above 10% loss to most of the Internet right now.

We operate VoIP over ACS BXB and DSL services and didn't have the means to get an
alternate backup route in place. We have ACS Dedicated Internet which doesn't appear to
share this problem, however switching around routes and not using DNS and DNS-SRV
correctly have somewhat broken our ability to mitigate a single provider/service failure.

If you're an ACS customer, they are more than aware of the problem. They restarted
switching services last night to attempt to isolate the problem. Unfortunately it didn't
work out well.

Anyways. Lessons learned here. Always be versatile, always make sure you can reroute
selectively using a larger aggregate point (your own server in Seattle would be a
wonderful start). And always make sure you create secure but dynamic interconnections
between services using DNS instead of IP addresses.

In my case.. I could have completely reset our VoIP service to use our ACS Dedicated
Internet service within about an hour and 5 minutes by using DNS/DNS-SRV properly.

- Shane