[aklug] Re: Stop Online Piracy Act, a.k.a., Internet blacklist bill

From: Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2011 - 13:20:06 AKST

Knowing our luck lately getting our elected officials to vote what the =
constituency wants, I would like to propose Plan B.

http://www.reddit.com/r/darknetplan/

"A mesh network is basically a network where each client(user) directly =
connects to other clients in the network instead of all of the clients =
being attached to a cable leading to an Internet Service Provider. This =
is a distributed architecture which relies on the network participants =
themselves to provide the connections and routes for packets to flow =
across the network."

Jim MacDonald
jim@macdonald.org

On Nov 18, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> On 11/18/2011 09:34 AM, Jim MacDonald wrote:
>> So has anyone done the work and asked our representatives where they =
stand on this bill?
>> Jim MacDonald
>> jim@macdonald.org
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:53 AM, adam bultman wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/16/sopa-condemned-internet-b=
lacklist-bill?newsfeed=3Dtrue
It
>>> FTFY
>>>=20
>>> --
>>> Adam
>>>=20
>>> ---------
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
>> -- File: signature.asc
>> -- Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> ---------
>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>=20
>=20
> Murkowski is the only one who has sent me a response so far. It is=20
> rather generic and strictly speaking doesn't commit to anything, =
though=20
> it seems to describe the Senate bill in rather glowing terms:
>=20
> [QUOTE]
> Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 968, the PROTECT IP Act of=20
> 2011. I appreciate hearing from you and having the opportunity to =
respond.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> S. 968 is a bill designed to protect intellectual property rights from=20=

> theft, take action against internet piracy, and prevent online threats=20=

> to economic creativity in our nation. S. 968 was introduced by =
Senator=20
> Leahy on May 12, 2011, and referred to the Judiciary Committee.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Should the full Senate consider this bill, I will keep your concerns =
in=20
> mind. Again, thank you for contacting me.
> [/QUOTE]
>=20
> The following article indicates that none of them are cosponsors of =
the=20
> House or Senate bills, which perhaps says something because there are =
a=20
> lot of cosponsors:
>=20
> =