[aklug] Re: Got compression?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 17:13:24 AKST

On 11/22/2011 04:32 PM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

> There is actually a lot of ins and outs to this at present. A lot of
> browsers implemented this poorly, so in the case of the majority of my
> customer base (XP IE 6) it works in some spots and not in others. It can
> also lead to corruption for some browsers and some file types (such as
> PDFs for some browsers). So sadly it is not as simple as flipping a
> switch. However, folks like Google are pushing hard for this, so I
> imagine soonish, in computer terms (5 years or so) it will be universal.
>
> This is probably the why as to why it isn't enabled everywhere, though
> it is becoming more universal, it doesn't solve everything, yet.
>
> -Erinn

So, when is that wretched IE 6 going to die off, anyway...? Jiminy
cricket! It's not good for anything except for running outdated, crappy
enterprise applications.

I have read that there was corruption problems for some file types in
ancient versions of some browsers, though I am quite confused as to why
this would be the case. The protocol only enables compression if /both/
the browser and the server advertise it, so one can't help but wonder
why these developers enabled it before they had worked the bugs out. I
mean, transparent compression either works or it doesn't, right? O_o

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us