[aklug] Re: ARM Processors

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2011 - 20:51:16 AKST

On 11/20/2011 04:27 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Christopher Howard<christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [111120 10:16]:
>>
>> Slightly confused...
>>
> No more than I ..
>> how does it turn the host PC into a dumb terminal?
> That part is BS, I think. I don't get it either.
> cheers

Reading through the article again, It is kind of funny. It states:

"When you plug the Cotton Candy into a Mac or PC, the Windows or OS X
operating system recognizes it as a USB drive. You can then launch the
software and run the Cotton Candy's Android environment in a secure
window while you use your desktop OS outside the window. You can even
transfer files between your notebook's native OS and the Cotton Candy's
Android environment by dragging them off or on the USB stick's memory."
(Wow! File transfer capabilities!)

But, what is it exactly that makes the window secure? Secure from what?
I wish the article had given more details about what is going on. So,
when the software is launched, then the software connects to the USB
computer somehow? (X11? SSH?)

Funny quote: "though we didn't get to play with the device ourselves, we
were impressed with how quickly it started up." Very trusting reviewers!

"Because the Cotton Candy is a full-fledged computer, it should be able
to plug into a USB hub and connect directly to a monitor, keyboard, and
mouse to launch its OS....Imagine walking into an Internet cafe or a
business center, popping your Cotton Candy into a USB port, and having
your own operating system and applications take over the device." Okay,
pretty cool idea. A few details wouldn't hurt, though.

"Though the current prototype runs Android 2.3, Borgar told us that the
ARM-based hardware can run Ubuntu Linux currently and future versions
should be able to run the ARM version of Windows 8." Windows 8 on USB
stick! Praise be!

"However, you won't see a consumer product shipping anytime soon from
FXI. The company plans to sell the Cotton Candy to developers and let
OEMs license the technology and turn it into something that can appeal
to a wide audience." That's encouraging. Think we'll hear about it again
3 or 4 years from now?

Anyway... might be an amazing technology, but I though the review was
kind of funny, and lacking in detail. I think perhaps Fox news should
have handed that one off to CNET or geek.com. :)

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us