[aklug] Re: Stop Online Piracy Act, a.k.a., Internet blacklist bill

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Nov 17 2011 - 17:44:38 AKST

On 11/17/2011 10:53 AM, adam bultman wrote:

> On 11/17/2011 06:05 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 02:53:03PM -0900, Christopher Howard wrote:
>>> New bill going through Washington, another attempt to destroy freedom in
>>> the war against copyright violations:
>>>
>>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/16/sopa-condemned-internet-blacklist-bill?newsfeed=true
>>>
>>> http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/pdf/112%20HR%203261.pdf
>>>
>>> It is hard to read through the entire bill (as there are so many pages)
>>> but sections 102 and 103 especially stuck out at me. Basically they
>>> force Internet providers, search engines, electronic payments services,
>>> and Internet advertising services to blacklist foreign Web sites that
>>> are violating copyrights, at the summons of the Attorney General. It
>>> also provides said organizations immunity from lawsuits and from
>>> liability for complying with said orders.
>>>
>>> The sponsors of the bill assure us that concerns about future government
>>> censorship are highly exaggerated.
>> < snip>
>>
>> Just the facts, Jack
> FTFY

FYI: Apparently there is /also/ an active Senate version of this idea:
S.968. I haven't had the chance to read through it yet (30 pages), but
just google "protect ip act of 2011" and that will get you the text.

BTW, all three of our senators/reps have comment submission forms on
their Web sites. With a little copy and pasting it only took me about 5
minutes to launch off my opinion on the House bill.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us