[aklug] Re: How You Know When It?s Time to Switch to Linux

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 10:07:38 AKDT

* Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com> [111026 07:12]:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 08:09:26PM -0800, Jeremy Austin wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Don't know how I missed this (nearly a year ago), but I don't remember
> > > anyone else posting this ...
> > >

> > > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/214929/how_you_know_when_its_time_to_switch_to_linux.html
> >

> > <flamebait> Where's the equivalent article for Mac users? </bait>

  I recently purchased a 2011 Mac Mini with 8 Gb of RAM. I wanted
  something with that footprint. Didn't care that much about OSX and
  I am a natural cynic put off by the Mac 'cult' and Steve Job's
  cult status and some of the Big Brother mentality of Apple. My
  most recent background is Slack and Ubuntu. I investigated a
  dual-boot arrangement - looked like that might be more difficult
  than on a pc. I also investigated using virtualbox. I thought,
  what the hell, why not have all 8 Gb of RAM? So I went ahead and
  adapted the OSX darwin interface to my needs, which include MC,
  mutt, fetchmail, procmail, postfix, vim as the default MC editor
  and a graphical vim (MacVim) for and MySQL. I found it difficult,
  in fact more difficult than a slackware setup with the same goals.
  Time doesn't permit me to say more than adapting OSX to a
  long-time linux user's preferences is a bitch.

  I have concluded that ubuntu has spoiled me.

  But, this little bugger runs like a raped ape and is more solid
  and stable than ubuntu is on my 4-year old gateway. I have given
  up some control and choice, that's for sure. But I can do my work
  now the same way that I do it on slack or ubuntu.

  My biggest complaint is that I have not been able to get a
  free-standing numeric keypad to work - and I love working with my
  happy hacker keyboard with a trackball on the right and the keypad
  on my left. I'll try it again when when I get a USB hub.

  As for <flamebait> ... that's all I have to say. Time to go make
  money with my mac mini .....

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com