[aklug] Re: saving iptables rules on Ubuntu

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Oct 12 2011 - 09:13:39 AKDT

On 10/12/2011 12:39 AM, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
>> The official community doc just says to use the
>> iptables-save command, but I think that only drops the rules to
>> STDOUT.
>
> Right, which dumps them in a format that can then be fed to iptables-
> restore. That's exactly the way you want to save them. Where/how would
> you save them otherwise?

Right, that is of course the mechanism used to save and restore. But of
course someone has to decide where the data is saved to and restored
from, and during what part of the boot process this happens. Presumably
this would be done by an init script, but I cannot find an init script
named "iptables", so I am wondering if I need to add one myself, or if
it has a different name, or...?

Furthermore, I am wondering: if I can find no "iptables" init script,
how do I even control whether or not the iptables service is starting at
boot?

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us