[aklug] Re: Hams?

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2011 - 01:15:15 AKDT

I believe there is one here that operates remotely as well.

There is a guy from a local Ham Group that stops by Friday Night Linux
occasionally. We're talking every couple of years.

He told me they have an antenna/transmitter at that old antenna farm up
DeArmoun Rd. The transmitter (controller for the transmitter anyway),
last I knew, ran Red Hat.

They have a method of communicating with it via the Internet. I know
about this part because the last time they were by our Friday Night
session, the were having problems with their Ethernet card. I loaned
them one for while they were at the meeting and the next thing I knew,
they were gone and so was my card. It was an inexpensive card and I was
certain it was a misunderstanding, so I never bothered to track them
down :-)

I think they got the box working though.

Jim G