[aklug] IPv6 via GCI from MTA

From: Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 13 2011 - 12:14:14 AKDT

It looks like I probably need to describe my problem a bit better given
some of the questions being asked. A few months ago I tried to set up a
sixxs AYIYA connection (or anyo ther tunnel type for that matter) to the
GCI POP located down in Anchorage. When I would request a tunnel via the
sixxs web interface the Anchorage GCI POP was never listed as a prefered
POP to be used.

I opened a ticket with sixxs:
https://www.sixxs.net/tickets/?msg=tickets-4779437. Sixxs informed me I
was outside the service area for the POP, which is entirely possible but
sixxs couldn't tell me what that service area was (they deleted some of
the comments in the ticket), they seemed to believe it was a matter of
being in state. So finally as you can see in the ticket we came around
to thinking that GCI was not allowing tunnels, possibly outside their
own network or perhaps some other area. Not really resolved down to the
core of the issue.

I let the whole thing rest for a while but this thread brought it back
to me, and I thought I would ask, so far MTA folks and GCI folks have
responded so we may well be able to resolve this issue, though it may be
sixxs problem in the end, who knows.

So let me know if you are on MTA and you have a working tunnel to sixxs.
If you are one of the GCI folks could you check on what restrictions are
in place for the POP that is set up? If it isn't allowed to be used from
another network that is fine, I figure it is your stuff after all that
will be handling the tunnels, but I am just trying to figure out what
the "real" end of this whole thing is.

-Erinn