[aklug] Re: Javascript book with problems

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2011 - 08:56:21 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110811 06:49]:
> I'm trying to learn javascript, and i'm looking for a good book.
> However, i really want a book that has a lot of good practice
> problems. The local bookstore has a few javascript books which
> look very thorough, but they don't have any practice problems,
> which is really important to my learning style. Would anyone care
> to make a recommendation that would be worth buying off amazon?
  Christopher:

  I have JavaScript Application Cookbook. Right up your alley
  except
  ** It is published in 1999 **

  That is all I know of. You might consider one of the javascript
  platforms like jQuery and work on a book from that vantage point.
  The platform-specific books tend to be more task-oriented, I
  think.

  As much as I like books, I have found that using the Firefox
  webdeveloper plugin along with the w3 schools documentation, which
  is DOM-oriented, to be very helpful.

  And I think that coffeescript is worth looking into: From what I
  have read in the latest LJ, it is a 'preprocessor' that 'compiles'
  into browser-neutral javascript. Could be the latest and greatest.
  Or not. Vim already has a plugin for it, and I except IDEs to
  follow, if not provided already.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com