[aklug] Fairbanks: Possible job opening soon

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Jul 27 2011 - 21:41:07 AKDT

I'll be moving out of my current job at the end of August, and my
manager is trying to get permission to refill my position. He needs
someone with strong Linux skills (a rare commodity where I work) and as
a favor to him I'm doing a little bit of advertising among my Linux network.

I work for Computer Sciences Corporation, a defense contractor that
maintains military simulator equipment on Fort Wainwright. I'm a "Sim
Tech II": basically my job is to take care of simulators; for example,
to apply software upgrades; to replace parts when they break; to run
preventative maintenance on equipment; to troubleshoot computers when
trainees have a problem; and similar activities.

Normally these positions get filled by people with electronics and
electrical engineering backgrounds. However, since Linux skills are so
scarce around Ft. Wainwright, you'll pretty much get ushered in to the
position if you can demonstrate strong Linux knowledge (which is how I
got the job).

Anyway, by most standards it's a pretty great job: great pay, not much
heavy physical labor, relaxed work environment (when everything is
working okay!). Again, the position is technically not open yet, but
I'll post a link as soon as it is. Feel free to e-mail me with any
questions (positives, negatives, specifics, etc.) or if you are
interesting in getting a foot in early, so to speak.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us