[aklug] Re: swapping (was Re: What should I consider before doing an install? )

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@muni.org>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2011 - 10:51:07 AKDT

My first reaction is that if your machine is doing much swapping at all the=
n you need more ram. RAM is cheap. Swap memory -really- slows things down=
 (swap thrashing), and ideally is only used for 'medium term parking', rath=
er than active use. Even with 15K SAS, you still get a serious performance=
 hit when swap starts being used for active use.

Early on, back in the dark ages (1999 or so?) we tried to play some games/s=
ave some money using swap, and decided that RAM was cheap.