[aklug] Re: What should I consider before doing an install?

From: Scott <Scott@ravenmoonart.com>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2011 - 10:35:17 AKDT

I have started to virtualize my systems so I can run multiple OS's on
the same host for work. Currently I am running good sized HDD (500gig)
with a 3gig swap file. I am finding conflicting documentation on setting
and managing swap space. Has anyone ran across anything documentation or
had experience with a swap space being to big? Some of the Virtualbox
documentation seems to suggest that a larger swap space (e.g. 5gigs)
would enhance performance of a host with multiple guests active at once.
I have not had issues with single or even dual instancing, but am
looking at 3-5 guests working at once and would like to be proactive in
the initial install.

Currently running Ubuntu 11.04 as host, but am open to alternate
distro's if any come recommended for virtualization. Already have an MS
server 08 virtual environment set up for work so would like to do the
same with out using MS for anything other than guest instances.

AMD Phenom II 9960
8g DDR2

Scott