[aklug] Re: What should I consider before doing an install?

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 23:48:30 AKDT

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:

> If you want to leave the door open to developing anything that might
> need to capture non-English text (internationalization of an app or web
> site, for example), then I'd go UTF-8. =C2=A0Otherwise, there's probably =
no
> real reason to other than the novelty/interest of being able to natively
> use a plethora ("Yes, Jefe, you have a plethora!") of cool characters,
> both international and otherwise (as CH said).

Royce, through no fault of his own, totally agrees with me. A
forgivable inadvertence.

My ugly bash scripts are plain ASCII.

But as a person who occasionally does a bit of advanced typography=E2=80=A6=
adapt Churchill, ASCII is the worst encoding, except for all those
others that have been tried from time to time.

On a related tangent, as a person who remembers the days when fonts
existed in both Mac and PC formats (don't get me started about X),
you'll pull my OpenType from my cold, inky fingers.

Long live Ewekneeq=CE=A9d,
jermudgeon