[aklug] Re: Apollo Workstation

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 21:43:12 AKDT

On 07/02/2011 03:23 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:
>
>> For no particularly practical reason, I was curious: any of you old guys
>> ever owned or used an Apollo workstation (from the 1980s)? Your experience?
>
> Very early HP-UX workstations. I've had them, and might even still have a
> copy of the OS around, but I'll have to dig. Do you now have one?
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Negative. I ran across a reference to the brand in an old programming
book (1992). The book mentioned that there were Haskell implementations
available for "Sun 3, Sun 4, and Apollo computers". Was curious about a
computer brand I had not heard about before. Wikipedia says it had its
own proprietary operating system (Aegis) "because of the excessive cost
of single CPU Unix licenses at the time", and that the OS had a
networking system that was fairly user-friendly for that period. Just
curious if any of you all had any personal experiences to share.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us