[aklug] chown, chgrp, and chmod

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2011 - 19:05:40 AKDT

I have a directory with thousand of subdirectories and thousands of files in
each subdirectory. Is there anyway to run chmod/chgrp/chown at the top of
the file tree and have the changes apply recursively to the files within the
subdirectories, but not the directory itself?
For instance:

/Top/Level/Directory/File.txt

I'd like to be in /Top and run "chown -R root" and have the ownership change
on all the files under /Top (eventually making its way to File.txt), but I
need the ownership on /Top/Level and /Top/Level/Directory to stay as-is.

Thanks.

--
Scott A. Johnson
scott.a.johnson@gmail.com